Now What?

Last week I quit my job. Now what?
The last job for a while have been really wearing me down. I was really tired of the the dynamics in play. Sometimes I put on the Shakespeare hat (hey, he was balding: he totally would have had a hat on). With the hat on I once spouted to myself, "where superstition is fact and ignorance is currency," of the last place. If I couldn't explain to a non-technical person a wholly technical concept, then the concept had no merit. Try pulling that the next time you get in a car: "I don't know how the spark plugs make internal combustion work, so I don't endorse the car."
I couldn't see any way to correct the dynamics or get my head around the way to survive the dynamics. There came a day that I pulled the plug. I quit.
That left me with the question of "Now what?" What had been going on for a long time was the fear of being financially destitute for quitting my job and ending up emotionally destitute for keeping it. At the end of the day, I figured that I could make money eventually, but there was no magical solution to have some emotional currency. It's not as air-fairy as it sounds. Here's the logic train:
  • We all die eventually.
  • We come into this world and leave it with nothing tangible.
  • Regardless of your belief system, once you are gone you either cannot affect the world of the living nor would you care to.
  • Life is supposed to be about happiness. Were life about work and misery, you wouldn't need to feel good. Just like I can't see into the ultra-violet because it's not neccessary, if happiness were unnecessary you wouldn't be able to sense its presence or absence.
  • You can derive happiness from any situation-- some of the poorest people in the world are happy.
  • You don't need to endure unhappiness and if poor people can be happy, you don't need to keep a job because of the money.
I decoupled money and happiness. If the last job brought me no happiness, then there was no reason to keep it. A friend once told me a story about his friends: they sold everything-- house, possessions and all-- and moved to England to travel. The friend said, "If you think you can't drop everything and do that, you're wrong. You can always do it and pick things up again later."

Since the quitting, I have been inundated with work and requests for me to help out. It's as though I am back on the market and people are buying. Being on the market isn't enough to make success. It's like being good looking but you show up for a date with a chicken wing stuck in your hair. You have to follow through, you have to do the work that you ask for. If the work is interesting and worth doing, I will take it on. I will separate challenging from frustrating (they often look almost alike, Myth Adventures' Imps vs. Deveels-- a challenge is to horse trade a coat hanger into a diamond; frustration is to trade a hanger into different hanger). All challenges can have frustrations, but no challenge is made solely of frustration. If you find yourself with a frustration and isn't nestled in a larger challenge, my advice is: a) quit; b) ask, Now What?

Has anyone out there hit this dynamic? What you found happened?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A-Morning Cancelled... again