60% of 10%

I watched Rick Santorum on the Daily Show schilling his new book, "A Family Plan."
It pisses me off that he's devoted a a chunk of a book to the concept that Gay marriage is wrong. More than that, it pisses me off that we have such a dysfunctional model of legislature that two people couldn't walk up to the marriage commissioner and say "Marry Away!" It took a long drawn out debate and moral contest. The legality is still in jeopardy. If Stephen Harper gets to goosestep his way into the Prime Minister's residence, he may rescend the legislation.
It pissed me off especially because of so much effort was put forth to address an issue that concerned so few.
Here's my math on Gay marriage:
10% of the population is Gay.
60% of the Gay population want to get married.
That means at 6% of the population might want to marry someone who has the same plumbing. I think 60% is actually a stretch. I look at my straight friends. A lot of them do not want to get married ever. Of the Gay people I know, I can't think of one that lamented over not being able to get married legally in Canada. (That's a fib: one friend wanted to get married solely to rake in wedding presents). So, assume that I am dead wrong with my anecdotal 0% of people who want to get married-- more than half wrong, hence 60% of that 10%.

My mindset is: if it doesn't harm people, let it happen (e.g. every Bible thumper who hates the idea of Gay marriage isn't less married, so shut up and let anyone marry anyone).
Think of it this way. What would rather have:
Two Gay guys with matching jewelry and silverware.
--Or--
A Gay guy shunted into the closet, cajoled into marrying a woman, raising a family with a lie at the core of their family unit. How could that be better in anyone's books?

Comments

Falcon said…
While I agree that there is a low ratio of gays that realy want to marry, I can't think of any of my gay friends that don't want the RIGHT to marry. That, I think is the core of the issue.
I don't think we can afford to have Steven Harper and his ilk tell us what we can and can't do. My wife and daughter have the right to their own bodies.

Popular posts from this blog

A-Morning Cancelled... again