I Could Have Been A Prince of Malibu

Harken back to 1979. My Mom would occasionally get to go out with her friends to the bars. She would meet men at the bar. She had this tale from one outting of meeting a record producer. He was going to have a big record come out. He was going to be really big. "Yeah, sure," my Mom would reply as he bought her a drink. She wasn't buying that a guy from Victoria was suddenly going to turn the music industry on its ear.

Flash forward to 1984. The era of "Good Rockin' Tonight" playing music videos on CBC late night. Terry David Mulligan had a guest co-host: David Foster. My mom was watching and she said, "Huh. That's the guy who was trying to pick me up at the bar, years back." !?!?! She scoffed off David Foster. From a person-to-person standpoint, who wouldn't have rebuffed David Foster? But why rebuff his money?

Now to the present day: Sunday night, I'm acting like a couch potato. Fox has on this show: Princes of Malibu. I never liked David Foster. The main reason is that he's from Victoria. He lead the ranks of Swollen Members, Nickelback, Nellie Furtado and that weasel from the Rockford Files. I slept on it: my head swirling with thoughts of guilty pleasure trash TV. Then I remembered: my mom could have hooked up with this record producer. From the looks of the show, Foster has a penchant for chicks with deadbeat sons. I could have been that deadbeat son.
Instead of holding up Chaka Khan, I spend my weekends arguing with Blockbuster clerks and blogging.
Ah well, the fickle tradewinds of fate...

Comments

Unknown said…
Yeah, but if you were in Malibu, we wouldn't have met. You'd be sleeping with some Paris Hilton skag. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

A-Morning Cancelled... again